New Century Scholars Instructions
APA NEW CENTURY SCHOLARS APPLICATION 2011
The application for the 2011 Class of the APA New Century Scholars Program is now available Click
Here). Information about the program can be found (here). The application can be downloaded and completed off-line.
We will be selecting 6 new NCScholars for the 2011 class (who will join the 6 NCScholars from the previous year). Requirements for applying include:
- You must be a second year resident in a Pediatric or a third year resident in a Med/Peds residency program. Please contact the program director if you have any questions.
Lee Pachter, DO Lpachter@drexelmed.edu
Co-Director: Cheryl Kodjo, MD, MPH Cheryl_Kodjo@URMC.Rochester.edu
- A member of an under-represented minority group. URM is defined as a group whose representation in medicine is less than that in the general population. Historically, the following groups have been defined as URM: African American, Mexican American, Puerto Rican, West Indian/Caribbean, Alaskan Native, Native American, and Hawaiian/Pacific Islander. However, we will be as flexible as possible when defining URM for this program. "interest in pursuing an academic career"; "interest in pursuing scholarly activities in the areas of racial/ethnic health disparities, minority child health and development, sociocultural determinants of health, and cultural competency"
- Applicants will have an interest in pursuing an academic career in pediatrics (e.g., conducting research and/or being an educator at a medical school, teaching hospital, or other similar setting). Furthermore, an interest in pursuing scholarly activities in the areas of racial/ethnic health disparities, minority child health and development, sociocultural determinants of health, and cultural competency will weigh heavily in the selection process.
- NCScholars are required to attend the annual meeting of the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) during the time they are in the program, i.e., 2nd and 3rd year of residency (travel grants are awarded to the NCScholars to attend). The 2011 meeting will be held in Denver on April 29th- May 3, 2011). If you cannot attend the PAS meetings, please do not apply to this program.
- Applications can be downloaded from the APA website or by email (Jennifer@academicpeds.org). Completed applications (including a letter of support) are due back at the APA office (by uploading to the APA website or by email) before midnight, Monday November 16, 2009.
- Applications will be reviewed by a selection team, and applicants will be notified of selection decisions by the end of the December. Selected NCScholars will be matched with mentors in early 2010 (before the PAS meetings).
Information about the program can be found here.
If you have any questions, contact Jennifer at the APA office(Jennifer@academicpeds.org).
Good luck, and thanks for your interest in the APA New Century Scholars Program,
Lee Pachter, DO, Director (Lpachter@drexelmed.edu)
Cheryl Kodjo, MD, MPH, Associate Director (Cheryl_Kodjo@urmc.rochester.edu)