APA RIA Program FAQs
APA RIA Program FAQs
- Can a RIA applicant apply more than one research question in same funding cycle?
Yes, applicants may submit more than one research question in the same funding cycle. Only one award, however, will be given per Principal Investigator per year.
- What is the definition of resident investigator?
Resident investigators are defined as doctor, nurse or surgeon engaged in a residency.
- My institution requires I include indirect costs. Is this acceptable?
Indirect costs are not acceptable and will not be considered.
- Should check lists be submitted with the letter of intent or full proposal?
No, these documents are intended to assure you prepare all necessary materials and should not be submitted.
- Can I include funds for a statistician in my budget?
Yes, direct costs for statisticians are acceptable, as long as they are properly justified in the proposal.
- Where do I send my proposal?
Initial proposals must be received by October 10, 2014 by 5 pm ET. Only electronic submissions will be accepted. All required components must be submitted online at the following address https://www.academicpeds.org/members/RIYIAentry/?awd=ria
- To whom should letters be addressed?
Letters should be addressed to Cynthia Minkovitz, MD, MPP, Chair, APA Resident Investigator Award Program, 6728 Old McLean Village Drive, McLean, VA 22101. Please note, that letters need to be uploaded on the submission website with all required elements of the proposal.
- What format should I use for my biosketch?
The biographical sketch should follow the standard NIH biosketch form. For this purpose, the biosketch is not to exceed two pages. The form can be found at the following site: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/biosketch.doc; instructions for filling it out can be found at http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/biosketchsample.doc
- I am not an APA member; can I still submit a letter of intent?
Yes, as long as your letter of intent is preceded by an application for APA membership. It is possible to submit an application for membership at