CORNET enjoyed a successful and productive series of events at PAS this year. It is always a joy to see the faces of our members as well as network with many other dedicated pediatricians.
Here are a few highlights from this year's meeting:
- CORNET had two poster presentations this year: Pediatric Residents' Attitudes and Experiences with Electronic Health Records, which assessed pediatric residents' experiences with medical IT, and Assessing the Value of the Continuity Research Network after a Decade, which gathered invaluable information on what drives member commitment to the network. Thanks to Janet Serwint and Bill Stratbucker for presenting those posters.
- Teaching Pediatric Residents Quality Improvement Using Adolescent Immunization Delivery as the Focus: National Partnerships for Adolescent Immunization (NPAI) Workshop. This workshop served as a precursor for CORNET's upcoming NPAI project and was a wonderful event to initiate progress on study design. This session was videotaped and we are working on developing segments of the workshops into educational webinars for dissemination.
- The Executive Committee Meeting took place in the days immediately following PAS and included a brainstorming session on potential projects for the CORNET-PROS collaboration in development. A handful of topics were assessed for their interest, feasibility, and study design, and will be presented to the AAP PROS network for further steps.
National Partnerships for Adolescent Immunization (NPAI) Learning Collaborative (LC)
CORNET is beginning the recruitment phase for this exciting quality improvement (QI) project. This is an opportunity through which multiple residency programs that provide medical care to underserved children can participate in a national quality improvement project. Participating sites will be able to share and learn practice improvement strategies from other teams involved in the collaborative, with ongoing guidance and support. Invitations to participate will be sent out soon so please let us know if you are interested!
Bright Futures Oral Health
The first paper from this study was published in the March/April edition of Academic Pediatrics:
Bernstein H, Dhepyasuwan N, Connors K, Volkan K, Serwint JR. for the CORNET investigators. Evaluation of a National Bright Futures Oral Health Curriculum for Pediatric Residents. Acad Pediatr. 2013 Mar;13(2):133-9.
For everyone who participated in this study, be sure to update your CV by adding a section called "Research Participation" and listing the title of the study and your role:
- Maternal and Child Health Bureau; Bernstein (PI)
10/01/2005 - 09/30/2010
Evaluation of a Bright Futures Oral Health Intervention for Pediatric Residents
Role: Site Investigator
We are looking into developing two additional manuscripts from BFOH:
- Bright Futures and Oral Health Concepts for Pediatric Residents
- How well do pediatric residents incorporate Bright Futures and oral health concepts during health supervision visits?
If you served as a site co-investigator and are interested in co-authoring one of these manuscripts, please let us know by contacting Beth King, email@example.com.
Thanks to everyone who attended PAS!
Those of you who were unable to attend PAS this year were missed! We are anxious to receive your input on potential future projects for CORNET as it is the collaboration which has been so professionally and personally fruitful. It has been the networking with similarly devoted colleagues who share common educational and health care visions which has enriched the network as a whole, and each of us individually.
Let's keep in touch and continue with our exciting activities!
CORNET, Chair of Membership