Fellow Testimonals

Benefits of General Academic Pediatric & Hospitalist Fellowships

Why Choose an Academic Fellowship

Pediatric Hospital Medicine Fellowship

Fellow Testimonial:
Teresia M. O'Connor
Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine

Baylor College of Medicine, Academic General Pediatrics

Years of Fellowship:

I made the decision to pursue a fellowship in Academic General Pediatrics after having worked for a year in private practice directly from residency. Ever since I was a child, I wanted to be a pediatrician, but over the years my interest and passion for research had started to grow. I realized that an Academic General Pediatrics fellowship was the perfect way to help me merge these two loves. The fellowship allowed me to complete a Master in Public Health and get more training in research methodology, statistics, behavioral change theories, and grant writing. With support and encouragement from my fellowship director, I applied for an Elizabeth Glazer Pediatric Clinical Investigator Fellowship Training Award in my first year. It helped protect more of my time for training and experiences in clinical research in the following two years of my fellowship. During that time I was able to find wonderful research mentors and pursue two research projects that both ended up in publications.

The training I received during my fellowship has allowed me to have my dream job in Academic Pediatrics. I am now a NIH-funded researcher and spend 80% of my time conducting research on obesity prevention, parental influences on children's behaviors, and ways to improve how we measure behaviors associated with obesity. Importantly, the fellowship also helped prepare me for the other 20% of my effort, training pediatric residents in primary care pediatrics. Having the opportunity to continue to see patients in an outpatient general pediatric clinic is something that I treasure. I also love the opportunity to work with trainees and help them refine their pediatric medicine skills and encourage them to purse their own dream careers.




Renew Membership

Join APA


APA Journal